Sunday, May 17, 2009

The "Ba'al Teshuvah"?

I believe that the Torah outlines the proper behavior and outlook for every instant in our lives. Keeping this in mind, with the knowledge that I have in no way achieved anything close to perfection in my Midose or Macshavoes, I consider myself constantly in the Tahalich of Teshuvah. I also believe that the term Ba'al Teshuvah is far too liberally applied as few individuals can truly claim to have perfected themselves in the ways of Torah. At the same time I believe the term Chozer BiTeshuvah is not applied enough. Being born and remaining religious your whole life has not excluded most people from the common faults, such as Givah, Loshon Harah and other Aveirose that requires constant diligence to avoid and Teshuvah for their transgression.
The Only thing that truly separates those of us born into and constantly maintaining our religious convictions and those who have only come to these ideals latter in life is that the latter have traveled a greater distance in their Tahalich of Teshuvah in a shorter time under more trying circumstances then those of us born into the comfort of religious indoctrination from our most formative years.

No comments:

Post a Comment